I would like you to read the following passage from our declaration of independence. Truly read it.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies;
Our founders felt it as their duty as moral men to care for their fellow man, and that when government became so overbearing and grotesque that it endangers the livelihood of its citizens, it is the citizen's responsibility and moral obligation to take a stand. Who are we if we do not stand for the weakest among us? for those who do not have a voice?
Just as in the writings of Martin Niemoller many can argue, that "Hey! I didn't mess up, I'm not in jail, why should I care?" You should care because these are human beings. If you want to fine a person then fine them, if they are sentenced to the death penalty, then give them the death penalty, if they are to serve 5 years then let them serve five years, but you don't lock a human being in solitary confinement for more than 20 years. No human is meant to endure torture or cruel and unusual punishment.
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.
So Please, I ask of you, help us be a voice for the voiceless. If you would like to help these prisoners stand with us on saturday as we take a stand with these prisoners for basic human rights. If you would like to help, Here are a few ways.
The 400 prisoners have just 5 demands:
1) End long-term confinement
2) End group punishment & administrative abuse
3) Abolish the debriefing policy & modify gang status criteria
4) Provide adequate and nutritious food
5) Create & expand constructive programming While hungry, there's plenty to do besides eat.
1) Call Governor Jerry Brown at (916) 445-2841 to let him know why you are participating.
2) Call your state representatives to let them know why you are participating and that you just called the Governor. http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
3) Call up an old friend, preferably living in California, and let them know why this is important to you. Also ask if they wish to fast with you for the rest of the day. For more information: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/09/california-prison-hunger-strike-inmate
4) JOIN THE FACEBOOK EVENT https://www.facebook.com/events/196927767149865/?notif_t=plan_edited
For more inspiration and ideas, watch the video at the top of this blog!